Sunday, May 13, 2012

Forsaken

sermon by Torin Eikler
Psalm 22


“My God, my God, why have your forsaken me?”

If you recognize those words, it’s not surprising.  But if the rest of the reading sparked any memories, you are, in my experience, one of only a few people who are familiar with the 22nd Psalm.  Mostly, Christians know that first line as one of few phrases that Jesus spoke while on the cross if they know it at all.  I probably wouldn’t even know that it was connected to a Psalm if I hadn’t had a reason to look it up when I was younger (seminary).

When I was in Jr. High, my parents Sunday school group had a get-together at my house.  A couple of my friends were there too, and we were all included in the fun.  The first of those “fun” activities was an ice-breaker where we all had snippets of the gospels taped on our backs and had to figure out what they were by asking questions of other people.  It helped that all the phrases were well-known quotes from Jesus … well they were supposed to be well-known anyway.

After about ten or fifteen minutes, everyone else had gotten theirs, but I was at a loss.  I had no idea what my card said, and I couldn’t think of even one more question to help.  Eventually, someone decided that things had gone far enough and took pity on me by offering the hint that it was one of the “seven last words of Jesus.”  (By the way, if you’re ever in the same situation, that is not a great hint to give to a 13-year-old.)

I tried, “It is finished,” “Father, forgive them…,” and “into your hands I commit my spirit,” and when none of them fit, I left the room quite embarrassed.  Though I would never have admitted it at the time, what I really wanted was for my mother to come in and hold me … to reassure me that no one was laughing at me … that I wasn’t stupid … that everything would be okay.

A couple of minutes later, our pastor came and found me with a bible (She must have gotten it from my parents because I wouldn’t have known where to find it), and told me to look up Psalm 22.  I read the first line, found my answer, and went back to the group.  Later that evening, I went back and read the whole thing through a couple of times, and it opened up the Psalms to me in an entirely new way.


J. Clinton McCann, Jr., calls the opening words of this Psalm haunting, and they certainly feel that way to me.  The psalmist complains of begin forsaken, yet still addresses God as ‘my God.’ … That points toward the “close personal attachment” she or he feels to the God who seems to be absent.  “Why me?” seems to be the question at the heart the psalmists lament.  “Why has this God that I know and love forsaken one of [her] own children.  Why am I left alone in my time of need?[1]

That’s exactly how I felt that night.  No dogs surrounding me.  No wild oxen.  Certainly no evildoers in that room.  But the emotions rang true, as I sure they have for all of us at one time or another.  I felt a bit like a worm, abandoned by my parents, scorned by others, mocked in my own mind for not knowing what I should have.

I know that’s small beans compared to what the Psalms talk about, but that’s the power of the Psalms.  They speak to us in the midst of the life we live.  They tell the stories of people who have been in lowest places, surrounded by enemies, and just about ready to throw in the towel, lie down, and die.  People who would probably have done so already except … except for their faith.

In the midst of the darkness that surrounds them, they call out in pain and desperation – sometimes in anger.  They beg.  They bargain.  They blame and scold God for letting it all happen.  They remind God of the promises that she has made – covenants that pledge support and love forever.  They find relief and hope in the stories of others who have been in tight spots and found a way through … with God’s help.  And, … they invite us in to share their experiences.

Psalm 22 is no exception.  We are each invited in to the experience of feeling surrounded by enemies with no support, an experience that we may remember all too well.  We feel our hope and energy abandon us as we lie down in the dust.  We stand on the verge of giving up and offer up our last prayer for salvation – for any path to the future.  And, along with the author, we discover with surprise and relief that God is still with us … that God suffers with us and cares for us.  No matter how bleak the outlook, there is hope and there is reason to offer thanksgiving and praise.


What does make this Psalm unusual, perhaps one of the reasons that Jesus quoted it, is that it is not just the lament of one person.  It speaks for the whole community as well.  Nearly from the beginning the psalmist calls upon the community’s experience of God’s mercy in the past to provide hope (however meager) for a renewed future, and as soon as God has heard and answered the plea for deliverance, the psalmist turns to the congregation, praising God and inviting everyone to participate.

Then he goes a step further.  He creates a community of the afflicted, the poor, and even those who are outside of the faith and invites them to come to the table of God’s grace to be satisfied.  Everyone, he says – everyone in the whole of creation will know the love and care of God.  We all will live and serve one another under the wings of God.[2]


Sometimes we write sermons with the hope of helping people experience a bit of what is going on in the scriptures in order to open doors for understanding.  I don’t think I need to do that today, though, … because I think this congregation already feels abandoned … at least a little bit.

When we came here, there was an average attendance of about 30 people with no little children, and people were tired….  Tired from the extra work of look for a new pastor.  Tired from keeping up with the work of the Board and the Commissions with so few people.  Tired of feeling small and worrying about the future.

After a while, things began to look a little better.  People were coming to share the life of our community.  Attendance was up.  There was … enough money.  And there were enough people to share the work more evenly.  We felt blessed.  We felt alive.

Then some of our friends had to leave, and in some ways it seems like we are back to where we were five years ago.  The sanctuary feels a bit empty sometimes.  It often seems like there is more work than there are people to do it.  And we are disheartened.  We feel as though we are “poured out like water” and all out of joint.  Sometimes, … sometimes we feel more than a little forsaken, but we have not lost faith.  Deep in our hearts we still dare to hope and dream.


So, this morning I invite you all to enter into fully into the Psalm – into the pain and despair of feeling forsaken so that we, too, may find hope and grace for the future.  I invite you to join the Psalmist in lament and praise (these are not quite her own words):

O God, our God, why have you forsaken us? 
Why are you so far from helping us, from our whimpers?
We cry out day after day, week after week, and you do not answer.


Yet you are holy, praised by your children everywhere.
In the past, we turned to you, and we found comfort.
We trusted in you, and we found hope.

But now, we feel like we are failing.
We have poured ourselves out like water.
We are so tired of this struggle that we feel like giving up.
We worry about what the future will bring (if there is a future for us)

O God, do not leave us alone.
Come dwell with us.
Deliver us from despair. 
Save us from the fears and worries that haunt us.
 
You pull us back from a place of hopelessness and regret,
     And we will tell stories of your mercy and grace together.
The power of your love brings songs of thanksgiving and praise to our lips.
     for your grace and care give us hope for a bright future.
They promise that everyone who hungers for you will have all that they need.
They remind us that we are never … will never be alone,
     for you are Lord of all the Earth.
            Wherever we may be, you are there with us – walking with us …
                        And we shall praise you.


We are not alone.  We have not been forsaken.  Look around you.  There may not be a hundred people sitting in these pews, but this is a strong community … filled with life and love.  We have so many children in the congregation that we are looking for new ways to care for them.  And we are growing as new people find us and make us their home.

It is a fact of life in this more and more mobile society (and in a University town especially) that people come and go.  But God is with us.  God will always be with us, sharing the sorrows that come, comforting and supporting us when we are filled with worry or feeling exhausted, holding our hand and leading us forward … into new life.


[1] J. Clinton McCann, Jr. in “Psalms” from The New Interpreter’s Bible Commentary. 762.
[2] J. Clinton McCann, Jr. in “Psalms” from The New Interpreter’s Bible Commentary. 765.

No comments: