Sunday, May 5, 2013

Can We Do It?

sermon by Torin Eikler
John 14:23-29      Acts 16:9-15


When I was on staff with Brethren Volunteer Service, I had the privilege of meeting many incredible people.  Some of them were the volunteers themselves, and others were the resource people that joined us for our three week orientations.  Generally, they spoke about the difficulties that might be faced in the field, but there were always one or two who came from programs that host volunteers to help us think more deeply about the issues that underlie many of the problems that the young people were heading out to “fix.”

One of those resource people who joined us was Cliff Kindy.  Some of you may know Cliff (or know of him) already.  He is fairly outspoken and quite well-known in some circles – Church of the Brethren and otherwise.  Cliff has done many amazing things in his life.  He chooses to live below the level of taxable income in order to avoid supporting the military.  He and his family live by intensively gardening about 2 or 3 acres.  And he has been very involved as an observer with Christian Peacemaker Teams.  That means he goes to places where there is a lot of tension between people who feel they are oppressed and the governments that control those areas and lives among the people in order to share what is really happening with the rest of the world.

During one of his sessions, Cliff shared the story of his most recent trip to Palestine.  As I remember it, he had been there for several days accompanying Palestinians whose homes were being demolished to make room for new Settlements, and had watched many confrontations between the farmers and Israeli soldiers. 

One evening about a week into his stay, he was sitting with a family that was trying to stop the bulldozers by staying in their home 24-7, and an argument broke out between a group of soldiers on patrol and one of the older sons.  Things escalated from bitter words to yelling and then to threats.  Eventually, one of the soldiers backed the young man against a wall with his rifle.  As the two continued to shout insults at each other, Cliff stepped between them so that the gun was touching his own chest.  That caught the soldier off guard, and he and his compatriots left after a more yelling and insults – this time directed at Cliff.

When he finished his story, the volunteers were completely silent for a time.  Then there were some little questions, and we finished up.  Later that evening as we were sharing about the day, some of the volunteers told us how they felt completely inadequate after hearing Cliff share.  They didn’t feel like they were up to the challenge of facing down guns.  As one person put it, “He made it sound so natural … so easy, but I don’t think any of us could do it.”

 
The words of Jesus are equally challenging: “Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words ….”  It was not the first time he said that, and the implied command is clear: love isn’t just a feeling, it’s an action.  It’s following Jesus’ teaching and example. But what, exactly, does that mean?

It’s easy to speculate by going back to the Sermon on the Mount or any other specific teachings (and even easier to avoid the issue by speculating), but I think it’s relatively clear when you look for the heart of it. Jesus commands that we serve one another.  Just as Jesus washed his disciples feet and cared for the poor, the sick, and the outcast, so he expects us to serve each other.  And he goes further.  He commands that we love another … that we even love another as Jesus loved us … even to the point of giving our lives for others.

Talk about a challenge … and daunting challenge at that.  But no matter how daunting that is, at least there is also a promise in Jesus’ words.  Jesus says that the Father will love those who keep Jesus’ word, and that Jesus and the Father will come and make their home with them.  And not only that, but Jesus promises the disciples (and us) that we will receive a peace the world cannot give.

The question is … are they connected… or, rather, how are they connected?  Do we only get the promise if we keep the command?  And if so, what chance do we have?  Who among us is really able to live up to those expectations?  Whenever I think about even trying, the words of the volunteer at that orientation echo in my head, “He made it sound so natural … so easy, but I don’t think any of us could do it.”

 
It often seems convenient and logical to distinguish between and even separate Jesus’ commands and promises, but I wonder if Jesus made that distinction.  I think he probably didn’t.  He doesn’t seem to have been the type to make God’s grace contingent on success.  He never seems to have done that – to have separated the blessing and the promise from the challenge and the work in his teachings.  He certainly didn’t in his own life.   And in this passage, I think they are all bundled up, wrapped together, as it were, in a speech that was intended both to instruct and comfort the disciples Jesus was about to leave (in the story) and the disciples who struggle to be faithful after his departure (both in the story and today).  No, I don’t think it was the if-then of a contractual relationship.  I think it was the both-and of covenantal relationship.

More than that, I think Jesus was describing the spiraling feedback loop.  I think he was encouraging the disciples by trying to help them see that “as [they] kept Jesus’ commands [they] received his promise, and as [they] received the promise [they] were equipped to keep the commands.”[1]


So what does that mean? ….  Because people like Cliff don’t just start off by stepping in front of semi-automatic weapons to protect people that they only met hours before.  It begins with small things – little steps toward people instead of away from them … little choices to love rather than hate or even ignore … little acts of selflessness (or “sacrifice” if you prefer to use that word).  We only get to the point of risking that much after we have practiced on small things … and moved on to slightly bigger things … and then to medium things … and so on.

It begins with smiling at people who seem to be a little bit sad.  It begins with patiently teaching small, rambunctious children.  It begins with inviting people in to our congregation and our homes and helping them feel welcome.  As we walk that path – the path of love, we find ourselves growing accustomed to loving, and it gets easier to take more steps on the journey … to love more freely.  AND, … I think … that when you stop and think about it, you’ll find that you’re already pretty far along the path….

 
I want to invite you now to share a memory of one of those times when you have followed Jesus’ call to love someone or experienced someone else loving you in a way that sought to follow Jesus’ command and example.  Take a minute or two to find one of those moments and then turn to someone nearby and share it with them … and listen to them share their own memory.  We’ll just be taking a few minutes each.  So, you don’t have to be too elaborate, and if you can’t think of anything in particular, just listen.

(sharing)

I wanted you to have the chance to share those thoughts because we tend to spend a lot of time and energy studying the gospels and trying to live up to the teachings and example of Christ … and that’s wonderful.  But, we also tend to think of that as the only example we have.  We tend to let the rest of the New Testament fall by the wayside a little bit.  That’s unfortunate because Acts and the letters are full of examples of people like us … people who are just trying to do their best to follow, usually without the benefit of having known Jesus.

I’m not talking about the big names; although if you follow the career of Peter or Paul, you can see that they started small, too – small being a relative term.  I’m thinking of people like Lydia.  She was an ordinary woman.  Well … perhaps not so ordinary for her time.  She was a merchant which was uncommon for a woman at the time.  Aside from that, she was not so different from you and me … just an everyday, run-of-the-mill believer.  And, when she decided to follow Jesus, she didn’t do any extraordinary things.  She didn’t receive ecstatic visions.  She simply reached out in love to offer the hospitality of her household to Paul and his companions.

One small step down the path of keeping Jesus’ word.  One small step that on the journey of discipleship.  One small step down the road to peace….  One small step that any one of us could take.


It doesn’t seem so daunting when I look at it that way.  When I think about it like that, it does seem simple.  I can look back and see times when I have shared love in those simple ways … and sometimes in bigger ways, and I realize that I can do it … I already have done it.  I certainly have a long way to go and the journey will never be easy … not truly, but if I take it in small steps … if I trust that each one of those steps prepares me for the next one … if I live that way, I can keep Jesus’ word of love…  And so can you.

That doesn’t mean it’s always easy.  There are times when I get discouraged … times when I have failed spectacularly … times when I feel like I’m just so far from where I should be that I want to give up.  And I’m sure that you feel that way too.

So, I have a song to share with you for those times.  It’s the song that another resource person at the orientation shared.  He sang it into the silence that settled around that campfire after the young man shared.  It goes like this….

He-ya ho-ya he-ya-a,
He-ya ho-ya he-ya-a.

I am a wise man.
I am a loving man.
I am a healer.
My soul will never die.

I am a strong woman.
I am a loving woman.
I am a healer.
My soul will never die.

He-ya ho-ya he-ya-a,
He-ya ho-ya he-ya-a.

You can repeat it and add in anything that you want to.  Just remember to leave in the part about loving and healing, and you'll be alright.
 
 
I sometimes sing that to Patrick when I’m trying to get him to sleep at night.  And I wonder if he’ll grow up feeling more confident in his ability to love as Jesus teaches because when I sing it to myself in those hard times it reminds me of what I can be – what I am.  It encourages me, and I come away feeling, once again, like I can do it.

No comments: