Sunday, February 16, 2014

Space for Prayer

sermon by Carrie Eikler
Psalm 143:8, Matthew6:24-34




There is a new term out there,
one that began in the mid-1990s but has grown
with the help of social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook.
It’s a term that I simultaneously love and loathe.
That term is “First World Problem.”
Have you heard this before? 
What is a “first world problem”?  I guarantee you, we all have them.
Well, according to the source of all knowledge and wisdom, Wikipedia, a first world problem is:
“a slang term used to refer to issues in the First World nations [that’s us] that are complained about only because of the absence of more pressing concerns.”
The term is used to “minimize complaints about trivial issues by shaming the complainer”
UNICEF even conducted a survey about first world problem in New Zealand.
The most common “first world problem” is slow web access followed closely by the frustration when workers get your fast food orders wrong.
I do love that trite little moniker because it can put things into perspective. 
And yet, it is sort of the modern day equivalent of the 50’s housewife chiding her children to eat the meatloaf because there are starving children in Africa.
It does put things into perspective and yet, for sensitive souls like myself (haha), I start questioning: are all my problems first world problems?
A 12th snow day?  First world problem.
Water pipes bursting? First world problem, be glad you have water!
Tired at the end of the day because the kids are at home and pipes are bursting?
Just be glad you’re not out in the fields with a baby on your back and your children aren’t forced to work in sweatshops.
Yeah, I knew about first world problem before it was cool to know about first world problems. 

So are all my worries…all your worries…first world problems?
Maybe.  But I doubt it.
The cause of worries are unique.  But what somehow, as I read the Matthew text for today, I realize
that worry is not a first world problem.
Worry is not even a 21st century or even a 20th century problem. 
It’s not a problem that sprang up alongside urbanization and the Industrial Revolution.
Jesus talks about worry.  And the people around him worrying.  The people all around the world worry.
Worry is universal. 

What is your worry today?
When you think of your worry, what happens in your body?
If you are like many people, you’ll find your shoulders have crept close to your ears.
Your stomach gets tight.
Your breath gets shallow and your heart speeds up.
You may even yawn because of this…your brain doesn’t have enough oxygen. 

It seems as much as Jesus calls us to prayer, he is obviously onto something spiritually.
But he also had, knowingly or unknowingly, given us a spiritual gift that has physical benefits.
Because if we pray, we try to slow ourselves down.
When we pray, we actually talk about our problems, first world or otherwise, with someone, even if that someone is unseen.
When we pray, we breathe deeply. 

So who here needs some space to slow down and breathe?  Who here needs time and space to pray the prayer of your heart (not simply the words I stand up here and say?) 

Well if that’s you, then today is the day for you.  Because I’m going to give you that. 
And for those of you are a bit scared by unstructured silence, I’m going to help you structure it a bit.
And for those of you who think that church is no place to slow down and be quiet, then…well, you probably need it just as much as anybody.
Our prayertime is going to be guided by our morning psalm. 
This psalm has four movements, each one providing opportunity for us to pray a different prayer,
(you can find this in your bulletin).
May the day bring me word of your unfailing love. (here you can think about all that you are grateful for in your life and dwell on those good things and give god thanks)
I put my trust in you (we give an affirmation of our faith.  I like to think of this one as the “fake it till you make it” section.  Sometimes all I can say is “I put my trust in you.  I put my trust in you”)
Show me the way I should go (we ask God to guide us in decisions we are facing, or problems that are causing us to respond)
For to you I lift up my soul (here we lift up prayers of petition or intercession.  This is like our joys and concerns time, but you can share things with God that you might not share with any other person)

This is my daily prayer.  This helps me, if for even 5 minutes slow down and breathe.
In a moment we are going to have a full five minutes of quiet.  You may simply enjoy the silence to breathe deeply.
You may slowly work your way through this prayer, saying in your mind or even quietly the words of the psalm and inviting yourself into the guided prayer.
Or maybe you feel drawn to one in particular, and you might, say, spend five minutes meditating on your gratitude blessings, or holding a certain person up to God for healing.
We’ll begin with some deep breathing and then I will read the psalm once and then you can enter into the silence as you feel led.
So let’s take a few deep, grounding breaths…
May the day bring me word of your unfailing love.
For I put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go.
For to you I lift up my soul. 

How do you feel?
Sisters and brothers, worry is not a first world problem.  It is not a contemporary issue.
Worry has its Biblical roots as far back as the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve hid from God.
This week, I hope if you find yourselves lost in worry, you return to Christ’s invitation to pray, to ask and seek and knock.
To quiet yourself and find the deeper place in your soul
Where there is peace and gratitude and Light.
May you be blessed this week.
Amen.

No comments: