Sunday, June 15, 2014

Wrestling with Scripture

1st part of a sermon by Carrie Eikler



In the TV drama, Angels in America a character named Joe reflects on a small childhood obsession:

“I had a book of Bible stories when I was a kid.  There was a picture I’d look at twenty times every day: Jacob wrestles with the angel.  I don’t really remember the story, or why the wrestling—just the picture.  Jacob is young and very strong.  The angel is a…beautiful man, with golden hair and wings, of course.  I still dream about it.”  And Joe concludes, “It’s me.  In that struggle.  Fierce, and unfair.  The angel is not human, and it holds nothing back, so could anyone human win?  What kind of fight is it?  It’s not just.  Losing means your soul thrown down in the dust, your heart torn out from God’s.  And he concludes, But you can’t not lose.”

Friends, when it comes to faith, there is a lot of wrestling involved.

Prayer?  Wrestling.

Worship?  Wrestling.

Scripture?  Definite wrestling.

When I think of some of the serious wrestling in my faith life, and maybe you can commiserate, the angel I wrestle with is not the lovely, blond, beautiful angel of Joe’s picture bible.  It is more like a huge, stinky, Mexican luchador, with a mask on so I can’t see its face, and a little too much spandex for my liking. 

But I have to say, scripture is one of the biggest wrestling matches I have, my biggest luchador. It is ink on page and while there are as many interpretations of it as there are stars in the sky, there is something that makes this book…indeed, this Holy Book, a red herring for many Christians.  Don’t touch it.  Don’t change one jot or tittle.  Take it word for word and even if you don’t understand it, don’t question it.

Do you wrestle with scripture?  You know I do, as you can already tell.  There is so much that I find offensive, hateful, misogynistic, racist, violent,  un Christian (and unJewish, really) unGod-like…in my interpretation.  In my understanding.

 
Today my friends, I want to simply share with you one of the ways (and there are more than one way) that I engage this wrestling match with difficult scriptures.  In the next few weeks we are going to be encountering some scriptures in Genesis that are difficult for by Torin and me, and likely you.  And a lot of this process is based on my particular interpretation of the Bible—the 10cent seminary word here is hermeneutic—my interpretation.  It may not be your hermeneutic, and if not, thank you for at least allowing a space to share with you my process.  And yet, it may spark something for you.  I hope so.

Just like the angel of God who wrestled with Jacob, wrestling with scripture is a holy act.  It engages us, touches us, makes us engage it, touch it.  And no matter how we end up after wrestling with it, as Joe in Angels in America, you can’t not lose.  Because you will be transformed.

So most of you know I don’t give point-by-point sermons.  Point 1, point 2, point 3.  Well, today I am giving myself grace to deviate from that. 

 
When I think about wrestling with scripture, I see three phases: the preparatory phase, the unearthing phase, and the application phase.

The preparatory phrase is deeply spiritual for me.  When presented with a difficult scripture, I first note the feeling that arises in me.  Is it anger?  Fear?  Disgust?  Delight? Complete and utter exhaustion.? I sit for a while and wrestle with that feeling, without judgment.  And really, we can give thanks to these scriptures for calling something out within us to work with, to attend to, to engage.  Better a passionate response, than no response.

After I sit with those feelings, I note my assumptions.  How have I heard this scripture before?  What have been the sermons I’ve heard on this?  What is, for lack of better terms, the conventional moral of the story.  What have I always been told this story “means”?

Then after I get in touch with my initial reactions and assumptions, I pray.  That might seem an obvious step, but this is special prayer of clearing.  I ask God to clear what may be blocking me from hearing new word, not dismissing my feelings or throwing them out the way.  Not denying what I like or dislike Not disregarding everything I have learned, but to clear a path, or at least a space within my heart for a word of God to come shining through in new ways.

Now I don’t know if that is the easy part or the hard part, this preparation.  It probably has to do with the state I’m in emotionally, or the particular scripture I’m getting ready to wrestle with.  But the next part of my lucha-my struggle-is quite different.  This is where I try to dig deeper into the text. The “unearthing” phase.

I read the scripture again, reminding myself that this was not written by someone like me, living in my time, shaped by the course of history and social movements and wars and influential people and political decisions that have shaped me.  Honestly, the writers of scripture have little to resemble us in many ways.  So to jump to an easy conclusion about what these people “really meant” about God is wrong. ( I don’t usually call things so blatantly wrong, but this I will: to jump to an easy conclusion about what these people “really meant” about God is wrong)

In fact, the time span of all the books in the Bible cover thousands of years of literature.  Think about Barbara Kingsolver and St. Augustine writing their experiences of God and put them into a book and call it Holy and that’s about the extent and more so of what we’re looking at in the Bible!

This comes from the culture of the near east, with many micro-cultures within: Hebrew,  Syro-Phonecian, Roman, Greek.  This was written over two thousand years ago in a predominately patriarchal culture.  In this culture, because most scriptures were written by men, lifting up men’s position, placing superiority of men over women, speaking of God as man…this does not mean that is how God wants us to live.  It means these scriptures were written in a time when society shaped itself around these social structures.  It is how people saw their world in that time, for good or for ill, and is bound to shape their interpretation and writing.  It does not mean they are social structures God wants for our time or for God’s kingdom.

 
Scripture also has many genres.  Some are theological historical books, a retelling of history where the author tried to see God’s hand at work in the shaping of their history: Exodus, 1 and 2 Kings, 1 and 2 Chronicles, these are theological histories.  There are books of poetry: of course, the psalms and the erotic and overlooked and underappreciated Song of Songs.  There are books of the law such as Leviticus. There are narratives: Genesis, the Gospels, Ruth, Esther, where the focus is on the characters and the development of a plot and weaving in danger and suspense and love and all that good stuff of a novel.  There are letters: Paul!  There is wisdom literature: the Book of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes.  Apocalyptic literature: Revelations and Daniel.

When wrestling with scripture I must acknowledge the different types of literary genres to help me read it.  I don’t look to take away from my reading of Maya Angelou’s poetry the same thing I would take away from reading read a biography of Pope John Paul II or the political works of Noam Chomsky.  So I can’t approach all the books of the bible with the same lens.  I ask myself not just what is being conveyed, but how is it being conveyed.

So all this stuff is kind of heady.  But another way I like to unearth scripture is to approach it as if it were a prayer.

There are many types of prayers and while you may not be able to name them, you have certainly experienced them.  Prayers of praise, prayers of thanksgiving, prayers of affirmation, prayers of petition and intercession-where we ask for help, prayers of confession.  Often times the scriptures reflect some type of sense of these prayers.

And it is the prayer of confession that I have found helps me with some of the more troubling scriptures.  I can’t tell you what an impression it made on me when in seminary a professor said “We can’t always read scripture looking for direction or instruction.   The stories weren’t all written with that mind.  Sometimes the stories are written as confessions.  Confessions of people believing God was telling them to do something—kill, pillage, rape—and the consequence show the folly of that.”

Sometimes when approach difficult texts, I have to read them as confessions.  I don’t do this as an apologetic or to dismiss the gravity of the situation.  But I can’t look at all scripture as prescriptions—telling me what to do—but sometimes I must read it as descriptions—showing us what people tried to do, and showing us consequences.

 
And finally, I read scripture with the belief that it is a living word. I believe that the text itself grows in meaning as I engage with it.  That I am changed, and in some way, the text grows and changes as well, presenting itself to a new culture, with new challenges and insights.  I’ll explore more next week these last few items: reading scripture confessionally and with the belief in the living word …

Because next week we will have a chance to practice this. Next week we are going to look at Genesis 16:1-16, a text that I struggle with, and maybe you too.  But we are going to begin the wrestling today As we move into waiting worship, I am going to read that text and invite you into the preparatory phase and I invite you to continue engaging with this text throughout the week.

As I read this scripture note what feelings arise in you.  If you have heard this text before, consider what you have heard about it, how you’ve heard it preached on before, what is a moral?  Or maybe, where does your mind jump to conclusions?  Note that and this week, be in prayer for a clearing.  That God may bless those, but also gently make space for a new revelation.

Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, bore him no children. She had an Egyptian slave-girl whose name was Hagar, 2and Sarai said to Abram, ‘You see that the Lord has prevented me from bearing children; go in to my slave-girl; it may be that I shall obtain children by her.’ And Abram listened to the voice of Sarai. 3So, after Abram had lived for ten years in the land of Canaan, Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her slave-girl, and gave her to her husband Abram as a wife. 4He went in to Hagar, and she conceived; and when she saw that she had conceived, she looked with contempt on her mistress. 5Then Sarai said to Abram, ‘May the wrong done to me be on you! I gave my slave-girl to your embrace, and when she saw that she had conceived, she looked on me with contempt. May the Lord judge between you and me!’ 6But Abram said to Sarai, ‘Your slave-girl is in your power; do to her as you please.’ Then Sarai dealt harshly with her, and she ran away from her.

7The angel of the Lord found her by a spring of water in the wilderness, the spring on the way to Shur. 8And he said, ‘Hagar, slave-girl of Sarai, where have you come from and where are you going?’ She said, ‘I am running away from my mistress Sarai.’ 9The angel of the Lord said to her, ‘Return to your mistress, and submit to her.’ 10The angel of the Lord also said to her, ‘I will so greatly multiply your offspring that they cannot be counted for multitude.’ 11And the angel of the Lord said to her,
‘Now you have conceived and shall bear a son;
   you shall call him Ishmael,
   for the Lord has given heed to your affliction.
12 He shall be a wild ass of a man,
with his hand against everyone,
   and everyone’s hand against him;
and he shall live at odds with all his kin.’
13So she named the Lord who spoke to her, ‘You are El-roi’; for she said, ‘Have I really seen God and remained alive after seeing him?’ 14Therefore the well was called Beer-lahai-roi;
it lies between Kadesh and Bered.

15Hagar bore Abram a son; and Abram named his son, whom Hagar bore, Ishmael.

16Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar bore him Ishmael.

[Waiting Worship]

As we go into this week of wrestling, receive this blessing from Carter Heyward:

May we realize that God’s blessing upon us—that for which we have
wrestled, some of us for so long and so fiercely—is that we be empowered
to welcome and bless those who, like Jacob, indeed, like most of us,
do not deserve to be blessed.
May we sustain the confidence and courage, the compassion and humor,
to realize the sacred power in this stunning opportunity which is ours
today, and will be ours, forever.
(pause)
This blessing will not be taken from us.

No comments: