Sunday, August 3, 2014

Layers of Abundance

sermon by Torin Eikler
Matthew 14:13-21



As many of you know, we just returned from a cruise to Alaska on the inner waterway.  Normally, I don’t think of cruises as my vacation of choice.  I’d prefer spend my time enjoying a particular location for a few days rather than passing days on board a ship with only a few hours in each port of call.  But I quite enjoyed this particular cruise, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes to see amazing scenery.  Just leave the children behind so that you can actually spend time appreciating it!

Two days were particularly nice for me.  One was the centerpiece of the cruise – a day in Glacier Bay where I got to watch icebergs calve off into the sea, to see a pod of orcas swimming lazily by, and to observe development of mature forest in fast forward as we sailed from the glacier past land that had been uncovered longer and longer in past.

The other was our day in Juneau.  We used our time there to go and visit a glacier that ended in a freshwater lake surrounded by old growth evergreen forest that was rife with waterfalls.  At the park, there were several trails, and we decided to take a 3 ½ mile hike up to the head waters of the biggest fall and back through the forest.  At one point, we stood on a board walk on the edge of a hill that descended about 500 feet in the course of about 50 feet.  (That’s a 90% incline in case you were wondering.)  As I stood there looking out into the forest and listening the rills of water streaming down the exposed areas of rock, I realized that I was still fully in the forest despite the height, and I was taken with awe at the beauty and the majesty of the scene.  It was my kind of place – the kind where I feel most alive – a place where I felt enfolded in the bountiful gifts that God showers on this creation.

 
And then we came home.  And it wasn’t that life was hectic that caught me off guard.  Our time on the ship was just a frantic and full as it is at home.  What snuck up on me was the news.  Fighting over the water supply in Iraq.  Drought in California.  Cities shutting off water to people who were behind in paying their bills.  After days surrounded by the sound and the beauty of water, I found myself steeped in the story of its scarcity.

And that, it turn, tuned my ears to hear the story of “not enough” that flows through our society, seeping into our subconsciouses (is that a word) and dripping into our minds until we find ourselves reaching for whatever we can grab hold of.  Reaching for it and holding on tight just in case there isn’t any more. 

 
It’s a very pervasive feeling, isn’t it – that sense that there isn’t enough … that we can’t or won’t get all that we want or even just the things that we need.  It’s real and it’s powerful.  It’s the story our culture tells us in a quiet, nagging voice and it makes us forget more important things like compassion and love and joy and wears away our sense of hope in God’s promise of abundance.

But there is another voice out there that tells a different story.  It speaks to us in the creation narratives filled with life in plenty and soothes the fears of the hundreds of thousands of our ancestors who spent forty years in the wilderness eating manna and drinking sweet water.  It resounds in the words of the prophets and echoes in the letters of Paul.  It paints a picture of what the future might look like in Revelation, and it shows us how the table of God provides for us all – even now – in the story of Jesus and a crowd sitting on the side of a mountain with the sun setting on a long day of listening and learning.

 
I think most of you know the story of the feeding of the multitudes.  It’s very popular and well known in our churches (though as I looked back through our records we have only preached on it once).  It’s  a favorite now, and it must have been in the early church as well since it appears in one form or another 6 times in the course of the 4 gospels.  The details change from place to place, but the essentials remain the same.

In Matthew, 5,000 people have gathered in the wilderness between villages.  I say 5,000, because that’s the number in the text, but it was probably more like 12,000 once you include the women and children that are mentioned (almost as an afterthought).  The people followed Jesus to see the man who had been doing miracles of healing and to hear his wisdom.

The crowd spent the day listening to the strange new rabbi share a vision that was less-than-orthodox but filled with hope and promise, and it must have been a long day.  Lunch time passed and everyone ate whatever food they had brought with them.  Evening drew near, and children began to complain about being hungry.  Parents began to argue about when they should head home.  And the rumblings reached the ears of the disciples who were taking it in turns to walk among the people and get a sense of their response to the message.

They shared their concerns with Jesus, urging him to finish up so that they could all go and find something to eat.  But Jesus wasn’t quite done.  He sent them to find food for everyone just as they would have it this was their home, and they returned with five loaves of bread and two fish.  Setting aside their concerns, Jesus took the food and blessed it and it multiplied to feed all 12,000 people with left-overs for the next day.

 
In the context of the gospels, this is a very simple miracle story – though I think if we were hearing it for the first time, it would seem much stranger than it does now.  At least it is straightforward even if it is a bit hard to believe.  And it tells us that Jesus – that God – still has the power to provide abundantly when the need is great.  But it’s not just the story of a miracle that took place long, long ago in a country far, far away.  It’s deeper and more powerful than that, and it flows across time to affect the lives of people today.  It clashes with society’s story and it can touch our hearts if we let it.

I could go on for a while and talk about how that can happen, but I’ll Sue Clemmer Steiner show you what it looks like as she shares the story of how Matthew’s story has come alive in her experience….

A couple of times a summer, [when I was a child], a thin man dressed in black would politely knock on our back door about an hour before suppertime.  His face looked old and weather-beaten, and despite the heat he always wore layers of clothing.  The little cart with his belongings sat by the front gate.

He would ask my mom if there was any food he could have that night.  So she made extra of whatever she was preparing for dinner, keeping me inside the house while the man waited on the back steps.  She filled a plate for him, and he sat on the steps and ate.  After finishing his dinner he knocked on the door, said thank you, and continued on his way.

Afterward my dad would launch into stories of the many hobos who passed through our small Pennsylvania town on freight trains during the Depression, looking for a meal and sometimes sleeping in the sheds at the family feed mill.  “They’re homeless,” said my day, “down on their luck, and it’s good for us to feed them.”

My mom’s action, supported by my dad, left a deep impression on me….  Sixty years later, when I pray about Matthew’s telling of the feeding of the multitude , it’s the words “You give them something to eat” that beckon.  Like my mother, I hear these words addressed to me.  And like the first disciples, I’m overwhelmed….

I am surely infected more than I know by the invasive script of North American politics and culture.  This scarcity script tells me that I need to protect what I have and grasp for more.  It encourages me to look after my own interests and succumb to new and ever more exotic cravings. 

[Yet, as I ponder Jesus’ amazing act of compassion] I’m startled to find a new script emerging, drawing me in.  It’s a script that begins not in fear of obligation but in compassion, and it leads to awe….  Jesus blesses and breaks open what is surely not enough and dares us to offer it to others.  As he does this, God’s economy of abundance emerges.

Perhaps, I can help set the stage for such miracles when I pay attention to my own cravings for more.  I can pray with Isaiah, “Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy?  Listen carefully to me, and eat what is good.”  For when I do that my spirit is nourished, I catch a glimpse of God’s economy of abundance, [and I step forward to share that gift with others.] [1]

 
The feeding of the multitude is not just a story about God’s gifts.  It is also a challenge to us to join in – to reach out and share what we have been given so freely – to break free from society’s story of scarcity and lead others into and the abundance found under the reign of God.

 
That’s a good enough message, and maybe I should stop there.  But I remember saying in my last sermon that we might do well to spend more time wrestling with the well-loved scriptures as well as the challenging ones.  When I did that with this text, when I used a few tools to dig a bit deeper, I discovered a truth that John Shearman puts this way:
Perhaps, he says, we moderns may tend to focus too much on the miracle of the loaves and fishes when we should look more closely at what it expressed.  That appears to have been the more important aspect of [the stories in Matthew’s gospel.]

Jesus had just heard about the execution of John the Baptist. It was an ominous turn of events. Whether or not we accept the tradition that John and Jesus were related does not matter. It does not mean as much as the fact that Jesus grieved for John's death.  We might even think of John as Jesus' mentor with whom he had had close association at the time of his baptism and possibly some time before that. He wanted to be alone not only to mourn but probably to talk with his disciples privately about the dangers he now expected lay ahead for himself and for them.

A colloquial translation of vss. 13-14 implies that his departure in a boat was secretive, but that the crowds "got wind of it" and followed him on foot. The traditional site shown to tourists … was not far from the villages of Capernaum, Gennesaret and Magdala. It is an even shorter trip by boat across the northwestern bay of the lake. When Jesus saw the crowds who had gathered on the lakeshore, "he had compassion on them." … We might say, "He felt it in his gut." [And,] no matter how great his own need for privacy and time to grieve, he felt that their need for his attention was greater. [2]

 
As it turns out, this “simple” scene from Matthew is actually more like a parable than a miracle story.  We could almost reframe the story to begin with “the Kingdom of God is like a crowd of people who spent the day listening to a rabbi, and, when the time came to eat they found nothing but a small boy’s dinner to feed them….”

A parable ….  One that teaches us, as all parables do, about the reality we make for ourselves and the reality that God wishes to give us.  And what I get from this parable is this:  God provides abundantly. 

Whenever we find ourselves in need … whenever we look around us, and there is not enough, God takes whatever little bit we have to offer, breaks it and transforms it so that pours down on us as a blessing. Whether it is food or water we need, whether it is reassurance or courage in the face of fear, whether it is hope or dreams to lead us forward, God has the power and the desire to meet our needs … and not just in some idyllic future.  God has the power and the desire to provide for us here and now.

Thanks be to God, AMEN.



[1] Christian Century (July 23, 2014), 21.
[2] John Shearman as written in a post to Midrash list serve on July 28, 2014.

No comments: