Sunday, August 16, 2009

Children's Sunday

6th Sunday in Passionate Spirituality Series

This Sunday we "for-went" much of our normal routine in celebration of children. Children were a large part of the service through singing, acting, reading, dancing, and leading. Below are some of the materials involved* (*much was used from Children's Sunday resources provided by UCC)

Call to Worship (Nick holding Shailoh, Carrie holding Alistair, and Kim holding Beatrix)–
Nick: Climbing High, reaching for the sky
Carrie: Jumping in puddles, laughing so merrily
Kim: Rolling in tickling green grass, dizzy with joy
All: The exuberance of children: God’s pure delight
Kim: Singing out loud and dancing wildly
Carrie: Running or toddling, legs all a blur
Nick: Hugging and sharing, faces aglow
All: The joy of children: a blessing from God and a reason to sing.

*Hymn Lord we bring to you our children SJ #90
(children walk in, waving ribbons: up the center aisle, around pews, back up the center aisle, placing sticks on vase on worship center, children return to steps)

*Opening Prayer (Katie reads, Nick leads congregation in repeating, Carrie leads children in motion as Katie reads)

For our opening prayer, Katie is going to read a line while the children do some movement. You then are invited to repeat the words and the movement that the children do. May our hearts and bodies join together in prayer!

Holy God,
you were with us when we were born,
you are with us as we grow,
you are with us when we hurt
you are with us when we are whole.
Thank you.
Thank you!
THANK YOU!
Would you help us to see?
Would you help us to hear?
Would you help us to love?
So we might change ourselves.
So we might change the world!


WELCOMING
Peace Lamp - American journalist Dorothy Thompson wrote, “If we wish to create a lasting peace, we must begin with the children.” May our congregation be a place of molding and making, shaping and supporting young peacemakers. May we be a place of peace for all God’s children.

Dedication of Alistair Phillip Eikler

Hymn I was there to hear your borning cry SJ #89

PRAYING AND GIVING

Prayer saying “Thank you” and “I’m sorry” and “Please help” (Scotty, Nick, Carrie)

(everyone focuses on the picture they brought of a child they know)
As I look at this picture, I say, “Thank you, God!”
For the gift of this person in my life.
Thank you for who they are.
Thank you for how they change who I am.
Thank you for all that is good in them,
and for all that is good in the world.
Thank you for making them my teacher,
and thank you for helping them learn from me.
Hold this child in your love!
All: Hold all children in your love!

(Ask everyone to focus on the silhouette given to them when they came in.)

As I look at this picture, I realize I can’t really see the face.
So, today, God, this picture represents someone I’ve hurt—
maybe because of something I did,
maybe because of something I didn’t do.
God, could you help me to realize what I’ve done?
Would you forgive me for what I’ve done?
Could you help me, tomorrow and every day afterward,
to make wiser choices—
ones that bring healing, rather than hurting,
to your world?
Hold these children in your love.
All: Hold all children in your love.

(all focus on picture of child they don't know)
God, this child is your child.
I’m not sure where they come from.
I don’t know what is happening in their life.
But I do know that, just like me, they need your love.
If there is some way that I can make a difference in their life,
guide me to that action—
so I can help to be your hands, your heart, and your love in the world.
Hold these children in your love.
All: Hold all children in your love. AMEN

Offering
In celebration and in hope, let us continue our prayer. Let’s each of us bring forward an offering today—an offering of the faces in our prayer. We’re going to place the photos on the communion table so we might see the faces of God’s children. As we do so, let’s bring our financial gifts in the offering plates as well.

EXPLORING
Children’s Choir - - Jesus loves the little children

Children’s Story - The Colors of Us

Sharing Scripture (Cockroft Family)–
As we engage the words of scripture today, we are going to do something a bit different. Nick will be reading the scriptures and we have some interpretive drama to go along with the words. Following each scripture, as we have been doing throughout this entire series, you are invited to gather with one or two other people and discuss one of the questions printed in the bulletin.

Exodus 2:1-10
· What aspects of childhood have you lost (pushed away)?
· What aspects of childhood would you like to receive again? How might you encourage child-likeness in your life?

Luke 2:41-52
When you think about all the things you’ve learned from the stories of Jesus’ life, which teachings are most important to you?
· What does that teaching (or those teachings) mean for how you relate to other children in the world?

SAYING GOODBYE
*Hymn and Dance - You shall go out with joy 427
*Sending Prayer

No comments: